eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EBid are about to get a lot of new sellers - well done ebay

View Tallshrew's Feedback (+774)
    All-About Tallshrew
    View Tallshrew's Listings
    Forum Posts

Lightbulb EBid are about to get a lot of new sellers - well done ebay

Well, maybe they won't all be completely new to Ebid but they'll be giving it a lot more attention. The reason is that Ebay have just announced that they'll be charging a 10% fee on postage costs. Most sellers are disgusted by the new fee and many (like me) are refusing to pay it and will ,therefore, be ceasing ebay selling when it comes in (4-9-13). Pretty much all sellers unhappy with the fee (whether they stay or not) will be looking at viable alternatives to ebay and that's where ebid comes in. Now, I've traded on ebid before with a little success but have often found it too unproductive to be worth the effort but Ebid stand to get quite a big increase in listing activity because of this and should be ready to take advantage of it. If ebid can somehow find a way to take advantage of this situation with ebay right now to raise their profile it may be the kick start they need to go up a gear (mixing metaphors again, I know ) which will be better for all of us and one in the eye for the greedy ones (ebay).

PS. For those of you who still haven't got it - this really is a MASSIVE issue on ebay.

Harrogate, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View gbsbks2010's Feedback (+1964)
    All-About gbsbks2010
    View gbsbks2010's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: EBid are about to get a lot of new sellers - well done ebay

Welcome back, I'm sure you will find that things on eBid have changed for the better since you were last here and that there are more sales.

I hope that more people follow you back here as it will give eBid a good boost.

Forum Lurker
    View graphskill's Feedback (+39)
    All-About graphskill
    View graphskill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Ebay have long been advocating free postage, and they give you a bump up the rankings if you do. I suppose this is in line with that policy. So we have been paying fees on postage for quite some time

This is way old news. eBay started charging Final Value Fees on the total sale amount, including any shipping charges, back in April of 2011 and you're just now posting about it?
    Low Prices on Brand New Top Quality Luggage, Leathers, Bags, Cookware and more!!

Click The Banner Below To Our "All About" Page And Find All Our Clickable Store Links There

All-About Tallshrew
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by graphskill View Post
    Ebay have long been advocating free postage, and they give you a bump up the rankings if you do. I suppose this is in line with that policy. So we have been paying fees on postage for quite some time
    No. I (and I'm certain many, many other ebay sellers) have not been paying any fees on our postage at all, not one penny. Ebay's "Free Postage" is, of course, a scam whereby ebay indirectly gets paid a percentage of the shipping charge and if a seller chooses to offer free postage then they should know that is the case but that is nothing like what is happening now ie. openly declaring that they will take a cut of every postage charge. You're right about it being in line with policy though, and what a bad policy it is.

All-About Tallshrew
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TreasureLoft View Post
    This is way old news. eBay started charging Final Value Fees on the total sale amount, including any shipping charges, back in April of 2011 and you're just now posting about it?
    Not in the UK. And you didn't know I meant that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tallshrew View Post
    Not in the UK. And you didn't know I meant that ?
    The reaction of TreasureLoft was also my 1st reaction. Then I realized you are in the UK. From previous posts on eBid forums I have learned that the bay policies are not the same across the board. But if there wasn't a mass exodus when they started charging fvf on postage in the U.S., guess they figure they can get away with it across the board. Will admit, at least here, USPS started offering an online discount on the postage at about the same time, so sellers there probably didn't feel the "increase" in fvf as much.

All-About Tallshrew
    Forum Posts

Actually I only heard about the US situation a couple of days ago and I'm sure what you say is correct. For me though cheaper postage is not the answer as it still means ebay are getting money they shouldn't be entitled to albeit a bit less.

I guess "entitlement" is a matter of perspective. Evidently, they think they are entitled to it!

Yeah the U.S. has been paying fvf on shipping since 2011

Thread Information