Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Beautiful ad by Swainsbury.

Default Re: Beautiful ad by Swainsbury.

Minority of 1 then? - fair enough - but I found the ad cynical and tacky ....
    --Linda--
    all feedback from eBid

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10051)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CarnoustieCats View Post
    Minority of 1 then? - fair enough - but I found the ad cynical and tacky ....
    Let's make that a minority of 2. I also found it cynical.

Don't see a problem with it personally, just reminds me of the Joyoux Noel film which is a great watch

Forum Master
    View poppa501's Feedback (+642)
    All-About poppa501
    View poppa501's Listings
    Forum Posts

Now that some of the smoke has cleared, would someone fill me in on this controversy. I posted this because I felt it was a poignant video done tackfully and with respect. My use of the word beautiful was meant to convey the underlying message of the film, not the circumstances surrounding it. War is never beautiful.
    I wouldn't know Sainsbury from mulberry. Are they a controversial store. I just don't see the connection. Cynical and tacky? I'm lost here. If anyone would explain more to me I would appreciate it. If not here, then PM me. I just want to understand the bad vibes surrounding this video. If it had another store associated with it would that have made a difference?
    I just don't understand the hostility over this video. Thanks for your patience.

View Posbear's Feedback (+43)
    All-About Posbear
    View Posbear's Listings
    Forum Posts

I would not say that Sainsbury was a controversial shop.
    Helping the poppy appeal for 20 years is quite honourable as is donating the profits from the products in the vid to the charity.

Some more about the video.

http://youtu.be/2s1YvnfcFVs
    Graham

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.

Poppa, I'm with you. I don't understand either.
    I watched the video, and thought it was very moving, based on fact too.
    Also, Sainbury's are selling the WW1 chocolate bar featured in the ad in their stores for £1, with all profits donated to the Royal British Legion.
    Visit my clothes store -here
    Look in my treasure in trove ! here
    For
    soy wax candles, tarts & melts click here
    For trading cards click here
    Visit my Tazo barhere

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by poppa501 View Post
    Now that some of the smoke has cleared, would someone fill me in on this controversy. I posted this because I felt it was a poignant video done tackfully and with respect. My use of the word beautiful was meant to convey the underlying message of the film, not the circumstances surrounding it. War is never beautiful.
    I wouldn't know Sainsbury from mulberry. Are they a controversial store. I just don't see the connection. Cynical and tacky? I'm lost here. If anyone would explain more to me I would appreciate it. If not here, then PM me. I just want to understand the bad vibes surrounding this video. If it had another store associated with it would that have made a difference?
    I just don't understand the hostility over this video. Thanks for your patience.
    Hi Poppa

Sainsbury is one of the top chain stores here - it's name is unique to itself and there isn't another store with the same/similar/like name as far as I know.

Sainsbury's could be interpreted as using a memorable historical event to arouse the feel good factor with the participants of the day (especially as we are now getting close to Christmas) & transfer that factor onto themselves, ie Sainsbury's as a feel-good factor place to shop for Christmas - a psychological marketing tactic only? - hence the cynicism/disgust.

Just my take on it!
    I sincerely hope you don't remove the thread.

Last edited by cheaver; 15th November 2014 at 06:09 PM.

Re the Christmas ads - don't all the big company names "arouse the feel-good factor with the participants of the day (especially as we are now getting close to Christmas) and transfer that factor onto themselves, as a feel-good factor place to shop for Christmas - as a psychological marketing tactic only? "
    At least Sainsbury's are supporting a worthwhile charity with the £1.00 bar of chocolate that they have featured in their ad.
    Not quite sure what the participants of the day means - surely there cannot be many participants of that day left?????
    Visit my clothes store -here
    Look in my treasure in trove ! here
    For
    soy wax candles, tarts & melts click here
    For trading cards click here
    Visit my Tazo barhere

Quote Originally Posted by cheaver View Post
    Sainsbury's could be interpreted as using a memorable historical event to arouse the feel good factor with the participants of the day (especially as we are now getting close to Christmas) & transfer that factor onto themselves, ie Sainsbury's as a feel-good factor place to shop for Christmas - a psychological marketing tactic only? - hence the cynicism/disgust.
    Or, in short, how dare they hijack that historical event for their own financial gain.

It would be just as tacky for an American rifle manufacturer to claim that had LH Oswald been using their brand, JFK would have been down in one.

However, personally I liked the video. It doesn't make me want to shop in Sainsbury's, but it did stir up some appropriate emotions.

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    Or, in short, how dare they hijack that historical event for their own financial gain.
    Exactly. I might have put across my view better if I had said that I personally do not see anything altruistic in any supermarket chain - only greed (even if they are giving the chocolate bar profits to Charity, that's a great Tax relief item....) therefore the use of such a historical event, without the altruistic element, demeans it ~ rendering their action as nothing short of disgusting/sickening.

Thread Information