eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: So How would we cope without Electricity?

Quote Originally Posted by Petesmovies4auction View Post
    Day after tomorrow springs to mind (no not Wednesday)
    Shame it was cack. There's more survival stuff shown in Day of the Dead than in DAT.

To be honest the only way to get this kind of info across to people these days is with movies.. and most walk out after watching it and go cool movie... damn that bird in it was HOT... n thats about it lol
    But that's only part of the problem. A movie will flop if it isn't filled with ridiculous special effects, explosions, car chases and so on. Sensible stuff like how to prepare, what kit to buy, what to read up on (etc) would never get written into the script.

but hey your prepared.... i'll battle my way through the riots n come hang out with u till its over.... mind if Gracie tags along?
    Sure. My bunker is in northern Scotland. Or is it in Redruth in Cornwall. Or maybe it's in Limerick, Ireland. Or, or, or . . . .

Those living in the country with a supply of food, ie sheep, cows, field of wheat, and most importantly a clean river.
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    View celticqueen's Feedback (+28)
    All-About celticqueen
    View celticqueen's Listings
    Forum Posts

OK, so it's a problem, -a gigantic potential problem, but what can we do to mitigate/prevent it? "don't give me problems, give me solutions" springs to mind.

Theoretically I could manage. I have my own chickens so have a surplus of eggs. I grow my own veg. and have a polytunnel and greenhouse. I'm not a bad shot with a catapult, air rifle, air pistol or bow and arrows. [I'd love one of those mini crossbows as seen in "Relic Hunter".] There are loads of pheasants, partridges, pigeons, deer, hares and rabbits here. At a pinch grey squirrels taste OK. I know how to make and use traps and snares and how to gut, skin and prepare carcases. There are Trout, Carp and Pike in the lakes close to here. I know how to catch fish, prepare and cook them. I have 3 full gas bottles for the BBQ which has a rotisserie, but I also know how to cook in a fire pit. I have a case of candles from a Car Boot sale. £2 for approx.500. I have loads of Solar Powered lights which I have used on the stairs during power cuts.
    However, as soon as there was a hint of food shortages, there wouldn't be a cow or sheep left in the countryside. We have a lot of poachers now. It wouldn't take long for the poachers to start taking cattle and sheep. Water could be a problem. A ceramic filter would be the best answer, and boiling all drinking water. We have a lake across the back field which is fairly clean. I would have to dig a field latrine, though I am told an enclosed compost bin would be a good solution. I hope it never comes to that. I'm probably about as prepared as I could be. The worst Power Outage here lasted a week. We managed OK. Once the sewerage system stops working in towns, disease would run riot. As modern petrol/diesel pumps at garage forecourts run on electricity, you would not be able to get fuel for your car. The old ones had a removable front panel, and petrol could be hand pumped in case of power cuts.

West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View merlin's Feedback (+3081)
    All-About merlin
    View merlin's Listings
    Forum Posts

i`d manage fine i got loads of lighters flints and baccy boxes of rizla and the mrs as a fare bit of meat on her so i won`t starve

West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View merlin's Feedback (+3081)
    All-About merlin
    View merlin's Listings
    Forum Posts

btw it would be ok we all gas for cooking and mrs would fit in oven if i trussed her up

Quote Originally Posted by celticqueen View Post
    OK, so it's a problem, -a gigantic potential problem, but what can we do to mitigate/prevent it? "don't give me problems, give me solutions" springs to mind.
    We probably could do quite a lot. What we will do is absolutely nothing. Of the small percentage of the population who even recognise the need to do anything at all, there will be an even tinier percentage of those who will be willing to fund whatever needs to be done. The majority of people either don't want to know or don't want to pay, even though they will be amongst the first to demand action once it's too late to act.

i will have to watch the programme to find out what the scientist and experts have to say.

but my two peneths worth.
    should a solar flare large enough to knock out the world electic ever happen which is to say it will defo happen, but back to my point there would be more than enough time for all energy suppliers to shut every power station down, which would negate any affect that the magnetic affect poles would have on power supply.
    Since the solar flare itself would not be the direct cause only indirect which is to say! that a the flare would have to be large enougth to change the polirization of the magnectic poles. The flare itself could not in fact affect the power supply it is only the Magnetosphere (which coinsedentily protects us from the radiation of solar flares every year) it would only be the solar flares effect on the magnetospere that would cause a major E.M.P to be pulsed, which yes would knock out power station! but if all the power station were shut down and all electronics were swiched off no the E.M.P or "solar flare" would affect them.

in my opinion all there super this and super that like super volcanoe in yellowstone national park are programmes that put fear in to peoples minds by playing on the public lack of scientific knowledge.

sorry it's so long but scince is a passion of mine.

what the programme called
    ebid rules and i am glad to be here

orcadian media

visit my online store
    orca-stores

jason

Quote Originally Posted by orcadianmedia View Post
    what the programme called
    Solar Storm: Perfect Disaster. Unfortunately, it was on on Monday night.....

cheers mate no worries i probs got a mate who recorded it.
    ebid rules and i am glad to be here

orcadian media

visit my online store
    orca-stores

jason

Thread Information