eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Particle Physics?

View Rednosty's Feedback (+998)
    All-About Rednosty
    View Rednosty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Particle Physics?

Any one see Horizon last night? (I 've only just watched it) About mans quest to recreate the Big bang....By building a massive particle thingy under the ground on the Swiss/French Border........I mean WHO CARES? How small we can look at atoms etc. OH slight Draw back If it goes wrong they might create a BLACK HOLE that sucks everything into it (Thats the Earth etc).They say chances are very small.....BUT WHY take the chance?? MADNESS I say and Its scary because the black hole would form at atomic level and grow bigger with nothing to stop it..the dates scary Takes place on NOV 26th 2007 and some time ago I saw a programme about the ancient Incas and they predict that the end of the World takes place 23rd DEC 2007 (DAMN there go any Xmas sales) So the black hole could grow to engulf the world by then???? So thats the doom and gloom finished with!

Vintage Mechanical and Quartz Watches
    and collectables

Click on the link to enter my store

Why not visit my New Store. Where you will find almost anything

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Rednostys-All-Sorts-Store

At present, one of the deepest problems in theoretical physics is harmonizing the theory of general relativity, which describes gravitation and applies to large-scale structures (stars, planets, galaxies), with quantum mechanics, which describes the other three fundamental forces acting on the microscopic scale. This problem must be put in the proper context, however. In particular, contrary to the popular but erroneous claim that quantum mechanics and general relativity are fundamentally incompatible, one can in fact demonstrate that the structure of general relativity essentially follows inevitably from the quantum mechanics of interacting spin-2 massless particles (called gravitons). Furthermore, recent work has shown that by treating general relativity as an effective field theory, one can actually make legitimate predictions for quantum gravity, at least for low-energy phenomena. An example is the well-known calculation of the tiny first-order quantum-mechanical correction to the classical Newtonian gravitational potential between two masses. Such predictions would need to be replicated by any candidate theory of high-energy quantum gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by auctiongroup View Post
    At present, one of the deepest problems in theoretical physics is harmonizing the theory of general relativity, which describes gravitation and applies to large-scale structures (stars, planets, galaxies), with quantum mechanics, which describes the other three fundamental forces acting on the microscopic scale. This problem must be put in the proper context, however. In particular, contrary to the popular but erroneous claim that quantum mechanics and general relativity are fundamentally incompatible, one can in fact demonstrate that the structure of general relativity essentially follows inevitably from the quantum mechanics of interacting spin-2 massless particles (called gravitons). Furthermore, recent work has shown that by treating general relativity as an effective field theory, one can actually make legitimate predictions for quantum gravity, at least for low-energy phenomena. An example is the well-known calculation of the tiny first-order quantum-mechanical correction to the classical Newtonian gravitational potential between two masses. Such predictions would need to be replicated by any candidate theory of high-energy quantum gravity.
    So, like, erm, is that why my toast always falls butter side down?

Cool.

All-About Rednosty
    View Rednosty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by auctiongroup View Post
    But are we all going to be sucked into a big Black Hole! NO rude comments please!!

The search is for the thing that makes solids erm solid! But that thing might not exsist at all....And why do we all have this notion tht when you look into space you are basically looking millions of years ago (TRUE that bit) but then the theory is there is Nothing as Millions of years ago there was the big bang??? I think its rubbish I think theres just more and more galaxys beyound the Limit of what we can see I mean space is BIG! Imense....Infinate and that takes my breath away.Really .really think about it.......They should have called it Ariston......And So where does god come into all this?
    Last edited by Rednosty; 2nd May 2007 at 09:49 PM.

and collectables

Forum Lurker
    View pid2000's Feedback (+13)
    All-About pid2000
    View pid2000's Listings
    Forum Posts

The reason your toast falls butter side down is due to the average height of a human.

You actuall get sucked onto a black hole not into it. (It's not really a hole).

All-About Rednosty
    View Rednosty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pid2000 View Post
    The reason your toast falls butter side down is due to the average height of a human.

You actuall get sucked onto a black hole not into it. (It's not really a hole).

There was a study made on this very subject and some Lovely Goverment grant was given to research it! (Another show of this Goverments Great Investments and use of YOUR money)

and collectables

Forum Lurker
    View pid2000's Feedback (+13)
    All-About pid2000
    View pid2000's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes and there has also been research into the most effective way to stir a cup of tea

Quote Originally Posted by pid2000 View Post
    Yes and there has also been research into the most effective way to stir a cup of tea
    with a spoon ? lol!

i love science and history programmes on discovery - probably cos they all sound so clever and i dont know what they are talking about and some do know but skew things but fact of matter is half of them get it wrong lol still admire their adventurous spirits and love of learning and breaking barriers

beats watching boring repeated news channels every 15 mins
    youre watching sky news - yes i knew that lol

stay with us - erm no, channel hopping is a good way to tell your station someone has peed me off or bored me

So this black hole will consume the planet, I'm a sucker for these stories
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

Thread Information