eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing thread??

View paully58's Feedback (+3)
    All-About paully58
    View paully58's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Missing thread??

I posted a thread on here about 2-3 hours ago headed Problems logging in last time I checked it had five pages that was about 45 mins ago now its disapeared anyone have any idea why its been removed
    paully58

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paully58 View Post
    I posted a thread on here about 2-3 hours ago headed Problems logging in last time I checked it had five pages that was about 45 mins ago now its disapeared anyone have any idea why its been removed
    paully58
    Can't say I recall it. No sign of such a thread started by you.

5 pages of responses in 3 hours? Must have been busy.

View paully58's Feedback (+3)
    All-About paully58
    View paully58's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Can't say I recall it. No sign of such a thread started by you.

5 pages of responses in 3 hours? Must have been busy.
    yes it was a bit it was regarding not being able to log on tonight should I say most of the day from a lot of the replies then about 20 mins after putting it on here loads kept saying they couldn't log on I did manage to log on in the end via the norway site but now it's gone
    paully58

View FBNeNotes's Feedback (+1108)
    All-About FBNeNotes
    View FBNeNotes's Listings
    Forum Posts

Makes no never mind... we are here. If your bids disappeared.. that would matter

I saw the thread, you're not imagining things. Earlier today, I was not able to get into "My eBid" or my stores. I don't understand why the thread was deleted, though, it was certainly a relief to me when I saw it and knew it wasn't my computer acting up.

I didn't add a post because it was already covered by a lot of people. Everything is working now.

Yes I contributed to that thread as I couldn't log in either. I can't understand why it was pulled - very strange! The only thing I can think of is that I, amongst others, criticised the frequency of site glitches. But surely that is free speech? We didn't go overboard, we just said.... oh, I'd better not repeat it I guess.

Anyway I am glad to see that My Ebid is up and running again.

Vintage postcards bought and sold
    Established internet postcard trader since 2004
    and we now have an Ebid book store (mainly non fiction)

Our Stores: http://oldpostcards.ebid.net/
    http://books4sale.ebid.net/

All About Me: http://uk.ebid.net/users/OldPostcards

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

ebid wouldn't pull a thread for no reason, someone must have posted something which breaks ebids posting rules or which someone else reported. I didn't see the thread so i've no idea what, sorry

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostcardsEtcetera View Post
    The only thing I can think of is that I, among others, criticised the frequency of site glitches. But surely that is free speech?
    As said earlier; I don't recall the thread so have no idea of the tone of its content. There does exist a forum rule against:

Blatant defamatory comments aimed at undermining eBid as a business and/or promoting competitor sites.
    There have been (sadly) many threads on the topic of site downtime - some of which are still dominant. Therefore deletion for discussing this issue alone I would have thought to be unlikely.

Yes, maybe someone posted something after about 10.30 when I went off to bed, that broke posting rules.

I would hate to think Ebid pulled it because we were expressing frustration at site glitches.

Anyway, back up and running now.

Vintage postcards bought and sold
    Established internet postcard trader since 2004
    and we now have an Ebid book store (mainly non fiction)

Our Stores: http://oldpostcards.ebid.net/
    http://books4sale.ebid.net/

All About Me: http://uk.ebid.net/users/OldPostcards

Default Moderation or Censorship

I have mentioned "pulled" threads in the past.

Again it was due to downtime, and some (IMHO valid?) expressions of frustration from users.

When I was first considering using eBid, I checked the forum, thinking it would contain threads on both the good points & bad points of eBid, therefore influencing my decision, so yes I do think it matters.

There may be an argument for removing threads that are no longer relevant, but this doesn't seem to be the case generally.

There may also be an argument for pulling specific messages if they offend.

Pulling a thread simply because it questions downtime, is at best overzealous & misguided moderation, or at worst censorship?

This post is basically one I withheld after threads were pulled when the site was down for a long time in December, but I refrained, as I didn't want to be perceived as a troublemaker, but is now apparent that others have noticed the same trend
    I did query the thread deletions at the time....
    http://helpdesk.ebid.net/showthread.php?t=117356

Don't get me wrong. I am a great fan of eBid and promote / defend it in many scenarios away from this forum. I have invested in it's immediate future with a lifetime membership, and am pleased with the outcome of the listings I have made so far.

If this forum can't be used to question issues with the site, or even criticise then it is not really a valid forum, the danger being that the initial frustration and the frustrations of the intolerance of this forum, will be expresssed externally. (obvious reflections of another forum??)

I'll be interested to see what happens with this thread. I don't believe it could be interpreted as

Quote:
    Blatant defamatory comments aimed at undermining eBid as a business and/or promoting competitor sites.

Honesty & Transparency are more important than site glitches?

Tony

Thread Information