eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phone # and Addy in UK

Default Phone # and Addy in UK

Greetings,

Someone purporting to be from Birmingham UK gave a long telephone number which I'm trying to make sense of. Best I can guess is it is a mobile number, but perhaps someone can help me? (I've truncated the number to hide it)

it's +447984XXXXXX. The 44 is the UK country code. Does the 798 part indicate it's a mobile number?

And lastly, I'm trying to understand the address. They give the street number and the street name, but then on the next line, it's written:
    "bXX 1XX."

What do those letters mean?

Many thanks for any help.
    Last edited by PgsJeweler; 6th March 2009 at 02:31 PM.

View smiffy49er's Feedback (+570)
    All-About smiffy49er
    View smiffy49er's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes it is a mobile
    The letters are a post code ie zip code

Go on click you know you want to

http://www.justgiving.com/Charyn-Smith

Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

In XYZ Road, Borchester...

...no, I'm not turning into a stalker, just wanted to indicated how much information about a person one can inadvertently give away by giving real post codes. So now you've checked the info' you might want to delete the thread.
    Last edited by bykimbo; 6th March 2009 at 02:34 PM. Reason: disguise address now the point's been made :D

Thank you both for the information.

And it is astounding that you can get the street name from those letter/number combinations. Zip codes in the US won't give that information away. So I've edited the above post.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PgsJeweler View Post
    Thank you both for the information.

And it is astounding that you can get the street name from those letter/number combinations. Zip codes in the US won't give that information away. So I've edited the above post.
    It's pretty impressive, really. I'd better edit mine now too!

You can buy or rent postcode and street listings from the royal Mail.
    I have them for most of manchester.
    They give you the postcode, street name, location, house numbers and number of houses.
    Come in very useful sometimes.

Do you mean it's possible to buy/rent information from the Royal Mail that would confirm someone's address? So I could double check that the address and name match up properly?

That would be a great service, indeed, although perhaps it would not tell me if the address were "rented" by someone (sort of a like a PO Box).

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMan3 View Post
    You can buy or rent postcode and street listings from the royal Mail.
    I have them for most of manchester.
    They give you the postcode, street name, location, house numbers and number of houses.
    Come in very useful sometimes.

View shelleywelley's Feedback (+391)
    All-About shelleywelley
    View shelleywelley's Listings
    Forum Posts

Do you mean it's possible to buy/rent information from the Royal Mail that would confirm someone's address? So I could double check that the address and name match up properly?

That would be a great service, indeed, although perhaps it would not tell me if the address were "rented" by someone (sort of a like a PO Box).
    I'm not sure if Royal Mail actually hold that sort of information. For that I would imagine you need access to the Electoral Roll.

You can however check postcodes and addresses online via Royal Mail's website

What you get is the Postcode, Street Name, Location, Number of houses on the street and the house numbers.
    They do not supply the names of the residents or if the house is rented / owner occupied etc.

Thread Information